Skip to main content

Seasons.

I love seasons. I love the anticipation of change and the excitement of what is to come. I love looking forward to days of summer sun and tanned skin, to the crisp air of autumn and the turn of leaves in their color, to the celebrations of winter and the reasons we gather inside, to the newness of spring and the fields blanketed with wildflowers. Yet, I often find myself hesitant to accept seasons of change within my life. Instead of anticipation and excitement, I am filled with fear and dread of what is to come. I am crippled by the unknown and stuck in a trap of comfort which threatens growth, keeping me stagnant, frozen.
What would happen if I embraced the constant change of seasons within my life as I did the seasons of the calendar? What freedom would I discover in choosing to anticipate good, beautiful, and unique things only found in specific seasons? Would I not know, more fully, happiness and laughter if I embraced the sadness and depression? Would I not walk willingly through open doors if I truly examined the ones closed behind me? Would I find beauty in both the pain and the joy, the sickness and the health, the need and the satisfied? More importantly, would my embracing these seasons grant me the empathy and willingness to step into the seasons of others? And not just step into them but enter them with expectation and appreciation.
Father, teach us the secret of being content in any and every season, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in need. And, Father, help us in looking not only to our situations but to enter and embrace the seasons of others. May we be more like Jesus each day and assume the posture of a servant.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve