Skip to main content

Silly Old Bear

Today is National Winnie the Pooh Day, observed on the birthday of the English author A. A. Milne. Milne created the character of Winnie the Pooh and penned the magical world of the 100 Acre Woods over 65 years ago. His characters brought truthful lessons and a simple sweetness to the everydayness of life. Several years later, Milne's work is still appreciated and cherished in many hearts and homes. The Christmas of 2016, I found myself reading Pooh's chapter book through adult eyes. I was deeply moved by the innocence captured in the purity of each page. It is so much more than a story of a teddy bear and beyond the wonder of imagination. It is genuinely a tale of true friendship, of acceptance, of resilience, and of love. If you have not had the pleasure of reading Milne's work, you can find his stories online here.
Until then, here are a few of my favorite quotes, which I hold very near and dear to my heart,

"I knew when I met you an adventure was going to happen."

"Pooh, how do you spell love?"
"You don't spell it, Piglet, you feel it."

"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."

"What day is it?"
"Today,"-said Piglet.
"Ah," said Pooh, "My favorite day."

"Let's start by taking a smallish nap or two."

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet. "I just wanted to be sure of you.

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...