Skip to main content

Watermelon and Rainshowers

I am convinced some of the most beautiful things in life are the unexpected things. The things which we do not plan or foresee, but the things God brings to life which give smiles or demand trust. This Saturday, two friends and I decided to do some homework by the pool. We were craving some sunshine soaked into our skin and water to wash away our homework worries. We loaded up our towels and textbooks with excitement for this wonderful plan.
On our way to the pool, we passed a man selling watermelon on the side of the road. We pulled beside a man in overalls sitting in a lawn chair and asked how much he was selling for.
"Eight dollars," he said, but he had no teeth so I heard, "eff horors." What? I asked again, "Sir how much for your watermelons?" He gave the same response and I heard nothing more clearly. Finally, after the third time asking, we deduced the eight dollar price. Unfortunately, I only had five dollars cash with me.
I explained my predicament and asked, "Sir, could we buy half of one for five dollars?" Long story short, he was selling them for eight, but we walked away with one and a half for five.

With a watermelon and a half on board, we were even more excited to be by the pool. We unloaded all of our loot onto the pool patio and jumped in the water. Two minutes into the water, dark clouds appeared in the sky and the clap of thunder echoed over our heads. We looked at each other and kept treading, then the strike of lightening hit behind us and we were out of the water and under a covering. A waterfall of rain came down in slanted sheets. We sat, huddled in towels, soaked and disappointed. The rain did not let up, but eventually our moods did as we breathed in the summer rain. With homework on our laps, our intentions were honorable, but the pitter-patter of raindrops gave us the right lullaby for a little nap. We did not expect the downpour, but the unexpected brought us a beautiful display of God's glory. May you be open to the beauty of the unexpected. May God surprise you in His timing and His way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...