Skip to main content

The View From My Cabin

I live in a cabin which overlooks the lake. The space surrounding the cabin is just as one would imagine-nestled in spring green trees and tucked away from the business of the world. The view from my cabin shows the North entrance and road leading to the camp. Here, I enjoy watching the world pass by. I see excited guests enter camp for the first time. I see cars lined up with anticipation to pull through the gates. I see a vehicle speed around the country road, only to stop and reverse for missing the entrance. I see fireworks over the lake and guests gathered in the pasture to watch in wonder as the lights create a double show in both the sky and the water. I see the morning fog creep in and cover the lake like a blanket. I see a mass of mosquitos hovering around the water's edge. I see friends take a slow walk, savoring the day. I see employees leave after a day of hard work. I share in a snapshot of an individual's life by watching a singular moment in the view from my cabin.

Sometimes I wonder, what does God think when He watches my life unfold? He does not see snapshots, He sees my life it totality. However, my entire life is more like a singular snapshot because the smallness of my existence proves minimal to His sovereign presence. And, I still wonder, what does He think? May He be glorified in the snapshot that is my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...