Skip to main content

God and Grief

The last 24 hours has shown me the reality of grief. Deep, heart-wrenching grief. I experienced a raw and unexpected moment with a family member who lost their spouse a few months ago. She began to weep at the breakfast table, letting a waterfall of tears express her feeling of deep loss for her husband. She said she missed holding his hand. She missed going to the store with him. She missed the small, simple aspects of life with him. Her uncontrollable sobs echoed in the home, and I kneeled beside her, her hand grasping mine.
"I feel like God is testing me, and I don't know how much I can handle."
Instead of sorrow, I felt perfect peace in that moment. Yes, my heart hurt for her. Yet something inside of me felt extremely grateful for her tears. Grateful for raw emotion. Such a gift. The gift of sharing her pain, seeing her admit her weakness and ultimately expose her humanity. She cried hysterically, in shoulder quaking and snot pouring sobs. And she was beautiful.
It is difficult to describe with words because the feeling was so strong, but I'm going to try. She said she could hear his voice saying, "Let's go," and I could hear the echo of his deep voice, ushering her to move forward and keep fighting. Deeper than that, God was speaking to her. He is present in her grief and holds her fragile heart.
I know nothing of such sorrow. I cannot fathom the depth of pain or the intensity of that loneliness, but I know the role of my God whose presence never leaves us. He is there in the quietness of our hearts and the chaos of our lives. I am saddened by her grief, and I am also honored for the gift if this time with her.
The loss of a loved one is painstakingly real. May these words not merely paint a mirage of hope, but instead encourage you with the truth of God's never ending presence, even in the depths of despair.

All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...