Skip to main content

Nature

Spring is alive and in full bloom in East Texas. The green pastures are filled with wildflowers. Bursts of yellow, flecks of peach, and the Bluebonnet State flower blanket the fields. This week, I was not the only one who beheld the beauty of camp.
I led a group of middle school students in a leadership program at Camp. During the week, we emphasize the importance of people, passion, vision, and leaving a legacy. Coupled with team-building activities, horse rides, and zip-lines, the students have an opportunity to learn while playing. It's learning in disguise. On their final day, we shared a closing discussion on what they learned and how they can implement their discoveries at school and in the future. The first few students responded with answers I expected: listening to others, working as a team, etc. Then, one student surprised me. She explained how grateful she was for the space to think. She said, "I've never really thought about what I am passionate about or been able to enjoy nature." Another student chimed in, "I am glad I was able to escape from the noise of the city and be here instead." More raised hands responded similarly, expressing the freedom to be in the country away from the distraction and schedule of home. My heart smiled. These students were free to discover themselves. They experienced new adventures and were pushed outside of the comfort of cell-phones and the school setting.
As I write this, Mothers and their young daughters explore the woods near my cabin. Five-year-old faces are wide with wonder, and I am glad for the opportunity to work in a place which gives space to reflect and enjoy nature.
May you create the time to enjoy the beauty of God's creation, to ponder questions, and allow the glory of life fill you.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Thankful

Tis the season for grateful hearts and appreciation for all one possesses. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17 I want to share a story of a perfect gift I received a few weeks ago. As mentioned, I serve as an Outdoor Education Instructor for a camp called, Sky Ranch. A wonderful aspect of this job is dressing up as a variety of historical characters to bring teaching to life for students. One of the history classes is called American Indians. For this class, my staff members and I dress up as Natives and instruct students in the Indian lifestyle. Student groups are led into the woods and transported on a "time trail" to the year 1686, when French explorer René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle came to trade with the Natives for furs. Students rotate from instructor to instructor in small groups learning topics such as weapons, war, hunting, gath...