Skip to main content

Aussieland

Here I am in Australia. My friend's family blessed me by including me in their family vacation to Australia. They have a daughter who lives in AUS, and we are staying with her family, so we are two families in one.
On my plane ride to meet up with the family, I read for my current coursework. I'm reading about rest, care, and honoring the Sabbath in Ministry. My professor explained the often false conception in ministry leaders minds of serving at a risk to one's health. He exposed the reality of pride behind many leader's exhaustion. The need to be needed brings one into a place of superiority and out of a place of humility. As I read, I was convicted at my thought process and how I make decisions. Often, I function on the potential productivity in individual actions, never allowing myself to rest truly. In the plane seat, it felt as thought the Lord whispered, be still and rest in my presence. Rest in the care of my arms. Allow Australia to be a Sabbath trip. This whisper horrified me because it juxtaposed my typical mindset. Arriving in Australia opened the door to experience proper rest and care in a way I never expected.

Spring blossoms in Aussieland. The flowers burst with color; the city stands decorated with beds of bright tulips, and Kangaroo Valley is a lush green emerald of mossy trees and rainforest shrub. Pausing to listen to the sounds of the area welcomes the songs of little birds, popping in color and sweet in song. A dense fog creeps in at night, so the patio disappears, and it seems as thought you step outside onto the nothingness of the gray air. The morning is similar, but as the sun rises, the fog disappears, and games of cricket, frisbee, and adventurous explorations ensue: on the hunt for wallaby, kangaroo, and the rock-like wombats. The beauty of creation sings God's glory and the warmth of the families playing together honors His love. As I blogged previously, John 13:35 reads, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.” I know the love of the Lord a bit more because of these families. The inclusion and child-like play present within the hearts of these individuals brings me into a new understanding of God's love for me. As we sock wrestle, dance, play tag, and laugh until our stomachs hurt, I know the Lord's love and feel rested, in the child-like fun of being in this family.

May the Lord gently remind you of your place in His family. May he hold you tightly as His child.

All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...