Skip to main content

The Love of Our Father

Last week, I came into the church office to discover Taylor, the precious, four year old daughter of one of the administration staff, waiting to welcome any incomers. Her little purple dress and sparkly stockings tucked into her new, Christmas boots had her standing proud, displaying her outfit. As I sat down at the computer, opening the email whose inbox desperately required my attention, Taylor stood by my side. Soon, she was on my lap, typing letters one by one, looking to me each time she was unsure of what a letter looked like. In these moments, I felt proud and pleased. I could not control the smile on my face as I watched her little brain work, moving from key to key.
Upon later reflection, I thought of how much easier it would have been to complete my work without Taylor's help. Being a bit of an impatient perfectionist, several times, I thought of throwing a paper her way with some crayons so I could proceed with finishing my to do list; however, I knew how much she wanted to be included. I thought of the powerful parallel in the Lord's inclusion of us, His children. The Lord extends perfect patience to His children on a daily basis. His great love permits us to participate in furthering His Kingdom. How blessed we are to be called His children!
I am certain parents understand a bit more of the love of their Heavenly Father as they, in turn, develop greater love for their children. Having glimpsed small feelings of this parental pride, I am left grateful for the Lord as Father. May you know more of this deep love, remembering that the knowledge of His great love will always prove too wonderful for us to attain.
“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
— Matthew 7:9-11
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!
–1 John 3:1
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...