Skip to main content

La Comida

The food.
I always know when a meal may soon be on the table because when mi Mama cooks, the whole house becomes filled with wonderful aromas, tantalizing taste buds and causing the stomach to rumble. Meals in Costa Rica differ greatly from the norm in California. The family table as well as roles are valued differently. The Mamas always serve themselves last. The men or guests eat first, then the family, lastly the Mama. Desayuno, breakfast, is served for the houses schedules. El almuerzo, lunch, comes fairly early. Then years pass before dinner between 6 and 10. Luckily a coffee/tea break arrives around 4. Similar to the British and South African culture, Costa Ricans take a tea time; however, here it is called, "Cafe," or coffee. Typically, personas gather around a table to enjoy a cup of hot coffee with fresh, french bread and butter, jam, or cheese.

The fruit in Costa Rica amazes me. Bananas, mangoes, papayas, guavas, and many other fruits I have never sampled.
Guava. On the outside, this fruit looks similar to a long, green banana; however, the contents inside are very different. The fruit is similar to a giant green been because it has seed pods. One opens the fruit by twisting it with both hands in opposite directions. After opened, quarter sized seed pods lie in the pod. The fruit surrounds the seed. It is white and somewhat fuzzy. One places the whole seed in their mouth and eats the fruit around the seed, then spits out the seed. Forget simply diving into an apple, this fruit takes work and causes eruptions of laughter when one encounters difficulty in removing the fruit from the seed with their teeth.

Guanaba. The outside of the fruit looks similar to a cactus, green with big, rounded, black stubs but once cut into the flesh is a creamy color with a texture which resembles a kiwi only more stringy, similar to an artichoke. It is difficult to explain the flavor, almost a honeydew tint with a ping of pineapple.

Nances. This small, yellow fruit creates a rich odor in the air as one passes by the trees, inhaling deeply the tangy scent. If olives had a cousin, this fruit would be it. The texture, size, and seed are identical to olives. The taste is the distinguishing factor: slightly tangy with a ping of bitterness, just enough to perk up the taste buds.

Mamones.
Similar to Guava in that you eat around a central seed; however, the flavor differs greatly. These small, green globes are tangy like a tangerine but with a hint of sweetness like a nectarine. Again, difficult to explain but definitely fun to try.

Granadilla.
Also known as passion fruit. When enjoying this fruit, one cannot allow the texture turn off of the flavor of this fruit. Unlike other fruits, one eats all of the seeds inside a granadilla. Locals crack open the fruit shell and slurp up the juicy insides swallowing the seeds whole. The slippery texture can be a tad bit alarming initially but the rich flavor quickly erases memory of odd texture.

Arroz con leche.
Translated literally, rice with milk. Explained for flavor, fluffy pellets, sharing a bath of sweetened cream with hints of cloves and cinnamon. A typical dish in Costa Rica. Very sweet and rich.

Unless my stomach has had its fill of gallo pinto, I always clear my plate. The home cooked food is wonderful! I am incredibly grateful for mi familia.

1 Corinthians 10:13 reads, "So whether you eat or drink of whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I believe Ticos truly know how to honor God with their food as they consume beautiful fruits and vegetables from the land, combining the natural produce with cultural mixtures, prepared especially to compliment one another and delight each person. May you learn to pause and experience the food you consume. May each dish cause you to pause, acknowledge the God who creates, provides, and sustains, and give glory to Him by enjoying the different flavors of life.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve