Skip to main content

Oxmas

Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Hints of Christmas first arrived in Oxford after Halloween. Since then, Christmas has exploded throughout the city. Each day, I notice new decorations in stores, another tree in the city center, more lights strung along the street, and the tempting aroma of more holiday treats. On the little street above my flat I counted over 14 trees! It is magical.
The city kicked off celebrations with a light festival and lantern parade. The parade showcased classes of primary school students displaying homemade lanterns honoring the 50th anniversary of CS Lewis. I saw Aslan, Mr. Tumnus, and the White Witch. They were extravagant and lovely.

I also went to a carol service in the Sheldonian Theater with a group of friends. It was a beautiful venue and a lovely time, singing carols with several other students.


So many Christmas trees throughout city center!
Even the library made a Christmas tree of books!
May the excitement of the Holiday Season bring you many memories and smiles.
May you join in the chorus of the angels who proclaim the good news of this season, rejoicing in the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve