Skip to main content

Blenheim Palace

Thirty minutes North of Oxford lies Blenheim Palace, tucked amidst a small village. The palace hold over 300 years of history of the Marlborough family and the lives that intersected theirs.
From the outside, you know upon entering your eyes will have many extravagances to behold.
The palace was preparing for an event when we toured. So, there were workers arranging giant bouquets of fresh flowers, which smelled lovely.
Nearly every room had a chandelier, illuminating the the art work within the palace, which to be staring down at you with watchful eyes. I could not help but think, I wonder how many different stories these eyes have witnessed, passing in and out of the palace?
The palace landscape took my breath away. The manicured gardens are lovely, organized by curling hedges and cascading waterfalls but the open grounds are far more exceptional. The original landscaper designed over 2,000 acres to look natural. Exploring, you can tell that each path and tree is aligned with an appealing symmetry that highlight the grand vistas or lakeside views. The stunning fall color starkly stood out in comparison to the deep greens surrounding.

My favorite part of the palace was The Temple Diana, a little temple with the perfect view of the lake through the border of trees. With clouds looming overhead, swallowing up the bits of sunshine trying to pour through, I thought this little temple looked like the ideal, romantic hideout from England rain. I pictured a couple sneaking out of the palace, unaccompanied, escaping from the small talk of the weather. Having escaped the conversation, they do not escape the weather, and as they walk, hand in hand, they are caught in a rainstorm, and they find refuge beneath the stone pillars of the temple. I walked towards the temple and discovered a sign that explained it was the place Winston Churchill proposed to his wife, Clementine. My imagination was not far from historical truth. I stood there for a while, gaping at the beautiful view, in awe of the glorious scene before me.

May you enjoy the colors of Autumn. May you never be afraid to let your imagination run wild, knowing God created you with an imagination He designed.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve