Skip to main content

Twenty-One

Today I turned twenty one. Today I hiked up one of the seven natural wonder's of the world, Table Mountain. Today I soaked up the glory of God. Today I was blessed by those who love me.


Let's start from the beginning...
This morning, I woke up to, what my four lovely flat mates had created, a room covered in streamers.



Next, I set out to hike up Table Mountain and was blown away by the view. These are some pictures on the drive there and at the base before ascending the mountain. We were given three hours to reach the top and meet with our group. I made it to the top in exactly one hour. Praise the Lord for a body that matches my active attitude. I started at 9:18am and pushed to reach the top at 10:18am! Prior to starting the trail, one of our CLC's, Reagan, had announced some logistic details, "We're all going to meet at the top at half past noon. If you are one of the crazy ones, like Peter and Casey(who are two of the guys in our semester with a reputation for rock climbing, tree climbing, and outright adventurous speed), then you'll reach the top have quite some time to kill." I remember thinking to myself, I wonder if I qualify as a crazy? Well I learned something today, in Reagan's eyes, I'm a crazy! I started following Peter and Casey up the mountain and there was no way I was going to let them reach the summit alone, so I kept trekking with them, being the first girl to step foot onto the tabletop. The hike was like being on a constant stair master, rock stairs for dayysss. Table Mountain forms a prominent South African Landmark overlooking the mother city of Capetown. It is flat-topped and 1,085 M in elevation.




Some views from the top. And a jumping photo. The view was so fantastic that it gave us enough energy to jump. If you notice, I am wearing a tiara. Two of my friends had insisted I wore it since I was the "Princess." So I did, all the way up and all the way down I sported the crown.

After descending the mountain I cleaned up and put on the dress that I had eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for meals saving up for. It almost seemed foreign to be putting on makeup and doing my hair because I had not done it in so long, I felt pampered. Then Marcela took me to the beach to do a photoshoot! I had a complete blast just being myself as she snapped away, wind in my hair and sand between my toes. There is something about the ocean that makes me feel at complete peace and Marcela's girlish giggles of excitement and fun poses had me smiling the entire time.


This is a little snapshot moment of my dinner. We dined in a small, Italian restaurant called, Pescadaros, in Simon’s Town. Lights were strung in the window and candles glowed on the tables, casting a warm glow upon our meal, which was lovely but the lemon cheesecake that topped it off was incredible.

-

This is a view of the city lights. After dinner Janet, one of our amazing CLCs, drove to the top of a hill so I could see the lights that I had briefly referred to while conversing with her earlier. Her intuition helped make my wish come true as we drove up the mountain and saw the vast span of city lights, glowing in an enchanting beauty. Music cued to Tangled’s At Last I See the Light and the scene was set for perfection. I could not have asked for a better day. The Lord overwhelmed me with so many unexpected surprises, with feelings of happiness and with love from those around me. May God make all of your wishes come true!
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve