Skip to main content

The Comforts of Home

I have recently been missing the sweet comforts that home brings.
Living in South Africa has been an incredibly eye opening experience that has revealed breathtaking waterfalls, unfathomable living situations, and a thriving hope. I have been blessed to learn so much but I must be honest and confess that I miss the comforts of home and the familiar season change of autumn that bring me much joy. There are little things that cause me to reflect on the luxuries I am blessed with at home. Tings like...
The changing colors of leaves and the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin spice in the air.
An insulated, warm home, we have a family of bugs that takes pleasure in occupying our chalet with us, some of the biggest bugs I have ever seen. Oh, and lizards too.
My Momma's bed where my sister and I sleep, all three of us snuggled together. The bed here is permanently U-shaped because I sit in the middle of it to do my homework and the mattress has an eternal dent.
Home cooked meals, black cat peanut butter has become a daily addition to my diet.
The softness and durability of Charmin toilet paper, the toilet paper here resembles tissue paper packaging.
Finally, the freedom to call my family to inform them of news or to ask them about their day. Just hearing their voice bring so much happiness and I take that for granted here where email is my primary method of communication.
I am grateful for my family and the many blessings I have. I acknowledge the provisions that God has given to me while in Africa that make home seem less far away...
Lovely scenery that makes me constantly aware of the presence of God.



The wise words of Dr. Reg Codrington, who acts as a grandfather, ensuring our well being and providing constant spiritual care.


An amazing chalet of girls who are each entirely magnificent and I appreciate so much

May you appreciate the small things that cause smiles, and give you a sense of home, knowing that each and every one comes from our Lord.
All my Love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Chesterton on Perspective

A few months ago, I read a piece from G. K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News. Chesterton’s article makes light of the daily inconveniences encountered in life by utilizing a poetic tone of adventure inspired by imagination. He exposes the reality of thinking with a wrong mindset, encourages readers towards a comical viewpoint, and guides readers to a foundation of faith in all circumstances. Chesterton reveals the reality of a negative mindset too often occupied by so many individuals. He opens with the news of London flooding and categorizes the event as a typical inconvenience faced by humankind. Then he mentions the constant rush in finding an opportunity to grumble about such inconveniences. He exposes such grumbling as negativity. He explains the error of such a viewpoint when he states, "an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered," Clearly he stands by the incorrect nature ...