Skip to main content

Final hike in Pietermaritzburg


The day before I left the campus of AE, where I had spent the past 46 days studying and living, I went on a hike to discover a rumored third waterfall. I went with three of the guys, starting at a jog to begin our trek towards the goal of finding the final waterfall. Our mission was accomplished and God blessed us with even more. We ventured up the hill and off of the cement path, through mud sliding steps we came to a fence, which didn’t stop us, we simply army crawled right under the wires onto different property. Casey warned, “Alright, if anyone asks, we’re dumb, lost Americans who are staying at AE and we just got lost.”
“Okay!” We chimed and continued on our way on foreign territory. We heard it before we saw it but the waterfall was just around the corner. It was not as majestically gigantic as the previous falls but it was taller. We reached the side and decided the only way to continue was to climb up the side of the falls and so we did. Initially, I looked at the side of the cliff and thought, There is absolutely no way this is happening! And then the guys began moving and I thought, There is no way I am being showed up by these guys or falling behind! So I moved, over rocks, on top of branches, my adrenaline pushing my every step. I was basically climbing over years of fallen trees and the rocky side of the cliff. With mud in my nails, branches in my hair and a determination that squelched the bit of fear I had, I stood at the top, looking down at the falls. After a few scrapes and scratches and feeling violated by a few twigs, I was proudly gazing eye-level at a mountainous scene, with giant grey clouds looming over me. Onward we went and discovered we had reached the side of the highway and to those who may have been looking at our gangly crew, must have had quite a giggle at the surprising state of the student group. Here we were a band of Americans who were sweaty, scratched up, and looking like a bunch of bandits covered with mud and twigs. I smiled to myself imagining those who spotted us and we continued. We came to an abandoned group of brick buildings, clumped together and hidden beneath a layer of rubble and vines. We were not along at this site; however, the thunder had followed us there and soon announced its arrival and was later accompanied by his lightening friend. Time seemed to pause, looking at the sky and breathing in the fresh jungle air. I will surely miss the accessibility of adventure in the wild nature that AE’s campus brought. There is something so peacefully magnificent about God’s creation. May the Lord bless you with His peace this week.
All my Love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve