Skip to main content

The presence of my maker

Last night, I was reminded of the simple and astounding fact that I was created to worship the almighty, living God. In the gospel of Mark (12:30-31), Jesus explains the two greatest commandments, “Love the Lord your God with all you heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all you strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself.” The Lord brought this well-known verse to my mind and, although I had heard it countless times, I realized the extreme significance of it. So often, I become plagued by anxious questions: Am I truly serving others as well as I can? How can I show other’s God’s love today? Do others around me need encouragement? The common theme among all of these thoughts involves others. I focus on others, when my first focus should be God. The Lord told me that I do not need to constantly be looking for ways to prove my love for Him; merely spending time in His powerful presence is enough. With a to do list mindset and a heart to love others, I so easily forget that my Heavenly Father loves me and desires for me to worship Him. I am at peace, pausing to soak up the wonder of my Lord, praising Him for the majesty of who He is.
May you find time today to sit in the peaceful presence of God, knowing that you are honoring Him by drawing near to Him.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve