Skip to main content

Farms in Africa


Once again I am writing about another fantastic learning adventure out on our Biology practical, although, sadly, today was our last class. We traveled to a dairy farm to take a tour and examine the different aspects of agriculture and its effects on the environment. The first character I met was, Fred. Fred was a tubby, blonde, English lab who followed us around the entire day. He started with leading us to the beginning tour of the milking room. You could smell this room long before you entered it. We saw the milk machines where they do the testing and sampling for each production. After the technicalities of the process of farming the real fun began as we started viewing the cattle. The baby calves were adorable. I walked from pin to pin sticking my finger to the baby, in hopes they would try to suckle as the farm hand had explained; however, the calves were incredibly fearful and most of them backed up before I even tried to touch them. Only one little calf came towards me and tried to get milk form my finger. His little whiskers and tongue tickled and I let out a giggle, which must have shocked him because he did not come back to my hand after my response. We next loaded into the bed of a truck and drove to see the dairy cows. Halfway down the road Fred came running towards us with as much speed as a fierce warrior. We called to him and encouraged him to keep his chubby legs running and to our utter amazement he did. In fact, his speed was shocking for his stocky body. Eventually we stopped our car but Fred was so exhausted once he caught up that we had to pick him up and load him in the bed. I swear he was panting with a happy grin on his doggy face. We continued and I looked out at scenery that was absolutely breathtaking. Rolling green grass stretched for miles and the overcast sky formed shadows that danced across the hills. Scattered patches of black and white announced their presence with an occasional “Mooooo!” One of the cows was raised by students and was shown for competition so she was very friendly. Her name was 7-Up and she came trotting towards us when we called her, causing her pasture mates to give her a funny expression because she was racing towards the humans who had invaded their grazing space. She was a pushy old lady who was happy to see us, mostly because we brought her some grain. The beef cattle were next. These cows were brown and huddled together under the shade of a giant tree. The mothers were extremely protective of their young and they stood around their babies, staring us down with an intensity that was respectable. We then drove off road and bounced up and down. Wind whipping through my hair and the sun kissing my face, I breathed deep in the glory of God’s creation. We stopped to taste some sugarcane, which we chopped off with a machete. The day ended with a picnic by a large pond. Once again, I had an incredible day viewing the glory of God in nature but today also reminded me a lot of my dad because he has a heart for lost farms and rolling countryside. My heart wishes I could transport my loved ones back home to the beauty of South Africa, so that they can see what I have been blessed to see because a picture can only capture so much. And then I remember that the beauty of the Lord can be found in many places and those I love are experiencing a season that causes the trees to come aflame with vibrant, fiery colors. May you soak up the Autumn scenery that God places around you.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve