Skip to main content

Soweto

Southeast of Johannesburg lies the city of Soweto, where the people come up to you and eagerly say, “Shoot me, shoot me,” which means take my picture! Two days ago I had the wonderful opportunity of touring this city on a bus with a comical and informative tour guide. She showed us historical places such as the gated home of Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, as well as the touring house of Nelson Mandela, and the tower of the ten foundations, which the African constitution was written. We walked around certain areas to take pictures and eat lunch, interacting with the natives. Once they discovered we were American, they curiously asked about Beyonce, assuming we knew celebrities. Our guide instructed us to play along and pretend to know her because it carried conversation, thus creating a sense of pride in the people because they were able to speak English and have a connection with an American to share with family and friends.

We stopped at a place for lunch called, “Chez Alina Restaurant.” We were warmly greeted by a man who offered us lemon scented sanitizing towels to wipe our hands with before eating our meal. There were several food choices and so I put a tiny serving of each item on my plate, resulting in vibrant bursts of new flavor and delicious treats. From lamb, chicken, and rice, to cabbage, yams, and salad, the meal was fit for royalty. For dessert, they served cake and ice cream, which was just as delicious. The guide explained that the restaurant was part of a home and so the family worked and lived in the same area.

The population of Soweto is 4 million, the unemployment rate is 40%, the lifespan average ages 40 to 45 because of AIDS, and yet the people still have a bright smile on their face and hope in their hearts. Throughout the entire trip we saw poverty stricken shacks right next door to wealth. There was trash everywhere and yet the guide said that the city looks so much better than previous years. While I sat on the bus looking out at the living conditions, I felt as though I was an onlooker in the zoo, peering at the exhibits and watching the people like they were animals. The guide warned not to give money because it disables the community, she illustrated, "You do not give a hungry man a fish, you teach him how to fish.” This wise woman knew her city and how much they needed one another’s hard work and toil to continue towards making a better place. She explained that the people are not bitter about their situation; they graciously help one another, supporting the community together. She explained that they enjoy having Americans come because they are proud of their city and desire to show us their improvements, rather than just allow us to believe what the media portrays.

Soweto opened my eyes to a community that treated everyone as a neighbor and it revealed to me the importance of being united with others under a shared hope. This caused me to reflect on the hope I have in Christ and my responsibility and great delight to share it with others.

All my love,
Gennavieve


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve