Skip to main content

You Raise Me Up

I have always heard God has a sense of humor. Today I experienced a bit of that. The 20 hour plane experience was not as dreadful as anticipated, in fact it was quite alright and even comical for a bit because of the turbulence we experienced and the humor God provided. Towards the end of our third flight leg, the captain’s voice sounded over the speakers, “For your own safety please return to your seats and buckle your belts. We may hit an air pocket that could cause us to drop several hundred feet and I do not believe you want your head to fly through the ceiling. Thank you.” I quickly buckled up, huddled in the thin blanket, headphones plugged in, prepped for a bumpy ride. Initially, the turbulence was nothing out of the ordinary, then the plane started to dive, and with each dip my stomach began dropping. Then I began to laugh because the song that played in my ears was Josh Groban’s You Raise Me Up, which is probably one of the most triumphantly inspiring songs in existence and yet here I was sitting in a plane that was doing exactly the opposite of the lyrics. I began laughing as I prayed/sang “LORD RAISE US UP… So we don’t die on this plane! Please raise us up!” Needless to say I was lost in the complete irony of the situation and had a great fit of giggle. The ride soon smoothed out and I am thankful to say we arrived safe and sound in Johannesburg, Africa! All my love, Gennavieve

Comments

  1. Praise God for answered prayer I'm glad that you arrived safely in Africa. South Africa 2012 NO REGRETS! Also I got your card in the mail today, it made my day. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, while reading this, I can hear you telling this story in your hilarious storytelling voice (hand gestures and all). Can't wait for more posts! You and ridiculous plane rides...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve