Skip to main content

First Biology Outing

Today our Biology class took our first outing to Cumberland Nature Reserve, where the land stretches to the horizon and the giraffes walk right beside you. Unlike California, where fires are seen as evil, dreaded, disasters which destroy and kill, in South Africa most fires are seen as good things because the flames demolish the dead, dry grass; thus allowing the fresh, green, grass to sprout up. Fires bring the new life of the grasslands, providing food for animals and shelter for insects. My professor Caryn taught our class that because the life of grass comes from the bottom, springing from the earth, the fires only take away the dead grass and do not kill the entire plant. Trees are opposite of this. Their life comes from the branches, which is seen in spring leaves and flower buds.
In between instructing, our professor asked us if we were willing to play a traditional South African game and we jumped at the opportunity, knowing nothing of what we were getting ourselves into. We were led to a pile of poop and told to pick a droplet up. With uncertain glances and awkward giggles we each picked up a small ball of poop. We were then lined up in a horizontal line and told that the point of the game was to see how far one could throw the poop with their mouth. Professor added, "It helps when you put the whole thing in your mouth and wet it really well." With slight horror and immediate shock we all looked towards Peter, the first boy at the beginning of the line. He bravely stuck the ball of poop in and sent it flying with a powerful puff. One by one we each put the poop into our mouths and chucked it, some with powerful ferocity and others with weak disgust. It was entirely hilarious and thoroughly unexpected. Who knew that twenty Azusa Pacific students would be plopping animal poop right in their mouths for a biology course?
Today was a day of exploration, a day of learning, a day of adventure, and a day of praise that I am able to explore God's creation and learn more about it. May the Lord bring you a students heart, so that you may see the world through the eyes of a learner.
All my love,
Gennavieve



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve