Skip to main content

Baba Phillip


This is Baba Phillip! He is one of the drivers here at African Enterprise. He has a huge heart for the students here, a foot tapping appreciation for country music and an absolute love of McDonald's. Baba means "Father" in Zulu, which suits Baba Philip because he has a playful teasing side, much like a father. He is often teasing students and joking around that he is lost while driving, which is the farthest from the truth because he knows South Africa like the back of his hand. Baba is also a man of God who humbly bows his head before every meal and sings proud in church every Sunday. He is exceptionally patient and calm when he assists me as I struggle to master the clicks of the Zulu language. thanks to his help I can hold a polite introduction conversation of "Hello, how are you? I am doing well, and you?" This is just one of many incredible people on this campus.
All my love,
Gennavieve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampton Court Palace

Today, I toured Hampton Court Palace, an official historic, royal palace. Following are some of the sights I saw, history I learned, and favorites I enjoyed. The guard chamber of King William III. The magnificent display of 2,871 items of armor and weapons displayed a message that William was a great soldier and peacemaker. William's Presence chamber. Only high-ranking individuals were permitted into this room. William would be distinguished by sitting on a Chair of Estate. Those who entered his presence were required to remove their hats and make three low bows to the King, or even his empty chair. I'm grateful to serve an accessible King, who is with me wherever I go. William's eating room. He was expected to dine here on occasions "in front of persons of good fashion and good appearance," in order to display the sumptuousness of his food and to reassure everyone he was in good health. He was served by three servants on bended knee. William's P...

Community

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 Since my journey to Texas, the theme of a community seems to be following me. I encountered community several times during various study-abroad cohorts, mission trips, and even within my home neighborhood. One can hardly attend a Christian gathering without hearing the word at least once or twice! However, this season is bringing me a deeper awareness of its significance. Last week, a school we instructed held a worship night in the auditorium. Their Bible teacher taught from John 13:35, and encouraged each student to search for how to love one another as their mission in spreading the gospel. I sat, blown away. Jesus did not ask for door to door evangelism, nor did he demand fancy words or theological debate, no giant show or far away travels. He said to love one another. Wow! Had I complicated evangelism so much? The love for one another demonstrates we are Christ's discip...

Mineola Nature Preserve

Last Monday, we ventured to the Mineola Nature Preserve. Over 2,500 acres of Texas scenery and rich history. Many of the trails have names of old streets. One of the trails, in particular, was used as an old railroad trek. Today, the trail holds evidence of the existence of railroads with tall beams among the trees and railroad nails and bolts hidden along the path. As I walked, I thought of all of the footsteps that walked before me, and I wondered what footprint I will make on the earth? May the imprint of our actions and words point others to Christ. All my love, Gennavieve